About the role
Purpose of the role
As a QA Analyst, you will examine, validate, and test systems, which are predominantly built using open source tools (mainly web-based applications). Your role will involve working with our software engineers, to test the applications we develop. You will do this through participating in planning meetings, gathering requirements, producing edge case scenarios and maintaining the testing environment.
At Inviqa we work in the Agile/Scrum methodology. Our QA Analysts will therefore have the opportunity to liaise directly with our customers, refining user stories, acceptance criteria, and key examples. You will learn how the systems work, so that you can identify problems before they become defects. Your contribution will be key in ensuring that each project team delivers working software at the end of each sprint.
Responsibilties and duties
- Performing exploratory testing and ensuring that all sessions are fully captured
- Refining user stories, acceptance criteria, and key examples
- Taking responsibility for monitoring product development with an eye toward improving testability and the team's ability to deliver working software that satisfies our customers. Also responsible for guiding, assisting, and motivating your team of developers
- Maintaining testing environments
- Clearly describing reproducible edge cases or problem scenarios
Professional and personal characteristics
- Flexible/adaptable: You’ll be capable of working in a fast-changing environment and have the ability to adapt processes and methodologies, as best suits the situation.
- Strongly customer-value oriented: You’ll be able to connect and empathise with our clients, seeing things from their perspective when communicating the vision of the project, whilst also retaining the integrity and business values of our company. You’ll focus on causes rather than the symptoms of issues.
- Creative/innovative: You’ll be capable of stimulating the team and enabling them to come up with creative and effective ideas that simplify development.
- Collaborative: You’ll be an excellent communicator and facilitator. You’ll help drive the participation of both the customer and development teams, enabling collaboration and successful delivery of projects.
- Open to diversity: You’ll value everyone's ideas, background, thoughts, and culture.
- Pragmatic: You’ll have a thorough understanding of purist approaches to testing, yet you’ll be able to adapt these to best fit, doing whatever it takes to get a quality project delivered.
Qualifications and experience
- Customer-facing environments, educating customers on writing user stories and eliciting their acceptance criteria and key examples
- Structured exploratory testing and analysis into systems in an organised way, to identify any weaknesses
- Agile software development environment, specifically using Scrum
- Software QA/Test processes
- How web applications work and how to break them
Having the following experience would also be an advantage:
- Mobile application testing
- Cross device/browser/platform testing
- ISEB or ISTQB certified
- Participating/contributing to the testing or open source community
What we offer
You have an amazing opportunity to join an exciting and dynamic company, working with some of the leading lights of the open source industry. Our employees value the flexible working environment and the chance to develop their skills on a wide variety of interesting projects.
We offer a competitive salary and a discretionary bonus. All employees are eligible to join the company pension scheme after probation. We also operate a childcare voucher scheme. Our technical staff receive regular training (up to five days/year) and are encouraged to attend PHP/open source conferences (up to five days/year) and of course, we'll provide you with the latest tools to help you do your job (e.g. a Macbook Pro).